Kurt Kauffman’s practice focuses on contracts, corporate transactions and general business counseling. He has extensive experience advising entrepreneurs, professionals, and family-owned and privately-held businesses in a wide variety of industries. Kurt regularly advises a broad range of clients, from national companies to regional enterprises and owner-operated businesses, at every phase of the business lifecycle, from formation and day-to-day operations, through exit strategies and succession planning.
The hallmarks of Kurt’s practice are sophisticated, determined and practical legal advice; creative problem solving; prompt and clear communication; and an understanding of the business and legal issues of his clients to build a long-term partnership based on trust and results.
Prior to joining the firm, Kurt was an associate in the business law and health care transactional departments of two of the largest firms in the U.S.
Kurt currently lives in Lincoln Park with his wife, Laura, their children Avett and Sienna, and their dog, Cody.
Specific Practice Areas
- Corporate counseling for new and existing partnerships, corporations, LLCs and not-for-profit entities
- Contract negotiation, preparation and review
- Outside general counsel to various companies
- Start-up and organizational issues, including entity selection
- Shareholder, partnership and operating agreements
- Business acquisition and sales
- Joint ventures and other business alliances
- Funding and raising capital
- Employment and severance agreements
- Drafting employee handbooks and personnel policies
- Regulatory compliance
- Business insurance
- Adding and removing shareholders, partners or members
- Business succession planning
- Minority and Women-owned business certifications
- Residential and commercial real estate purchases, sales and leases
- Assisted reproduction
- J.D. – University of Michigan Law School (2001- cum laude)
- B.B.A. (business degree) – University of Wisconsin-Madison (1998- With Distinction)